Monday, May 10, 2010

The Statesman

"As much as I converse with sages and heroes, they have very little of my love and admiration. I long for rural and domestic scene, for the warbling of birds and the prattling of my children."

-John Adams

America has all but lost its statesmen.  In fact the concept may be so foreign that my using it could debase my efforts to communicate the worth of the form.  

Men lust for power.  It is a consuming passion of so many of today's career politicians.  They portray a visage of patriotism, yet their informing desire is that of increasing the scope of their power.  

I read through many of John Adams' works this week as some of the first of my recreational readings of the summer.  "A Dissertation on Canon and Feudal Law" was brilliant; a blunt, yet eloquent work that gave me great insight into the thoughts of this great man.  "Thoughts on Government" was written in a casual dialogue that made me feel as though I were in the room with him, sipping tea, and looking out the window of the early capitol.  "A Defense of Constitutions" showed the aplomb he carried, and his vast collection of knowledge of the world's systems of government.  Few people in this world have been so prolific, and noteworthy in their literary endeavors.  

As I read these texts I was struck with a resounding sense of sorrow at how far we have strayed from what was to be the glory of this great nation.  Adams was forced by duty into his offices.  Never once did the thought of esteem or glory enter his mind.  He never made a decision based on the next election or how it would reflect upon him.  His choices were a positional mandate.  He made every decision based on the greatest good, and the legacy that would be left to the generations, always hoping to be able to be freed of his obligations to live the quiet life of a family man.

He lead a life of impeccable moral resolve, and commitment to God, country, and family.  A statesman, gentleman, familyman, and nobleman in every sense of the words.  

"Because power corrupts, society's demands for moral authority and character increase as the importance of the position increases."
-John Adams

The ascension of power Adams endured purified his motives to the utmost effect.  In the end, Adams may have been the greatest American that has ever lived (albeit a federalist).  All of this reading has left me with this feeling of profound disillusionment with today's entrenched bureaucrats.  What has happened to the man that is pulled out of his position to serve out of civic duty?  Does a person with the humility necessary for office exist that does not have the ambition for personal gain?  And if such a person exists do they also posses the education to fulfill their duty competently?  

I maintain great optimism for the future of the United States.  I have rubbed shoulders with men that I believe posses all of these qualities.  Men like Mike Pence for instance.  I have the utmost respect for him, and look forward to helping on his next campaign.  It must be the resolve of the American citizen to back great men, and to help them to succeed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment